Saturday, July 24, 2010

I like my Troll Wife hook, but...

I really like my Troll Wife hook, but I've been getting a lot of comments that basically say, "We already know she got the job, why are you spending so much time on becoming a tooth fairy!"

I don't want to cut out that part of the story. I think it's necessary. (Trim ok, but not cut out.) I don't want to give up my hook, because I think it's really good. I'm worried that my hook doesn't give the most accurate view of the story. So I came up with a couple of new hooks.

If you have a few minutes, please let me know which version you like better, 1, 2 or 3. (Number 1 is the original hook.)

1. I took stock of my injuries. I hadn't even been on the job a month and I had 14 bruises, a concussion, multiple cuts and abrasions, a broken bone, and now, a gunshot wound. Being a tooth fairy shouldn't be this hard.


2. A troll's life isn't easy in this economy. Matchmaking jobs have been hard to come by. Sure, living rent free in a library means lower living expenses. But a job, any job that would take me would be helpful. Even if it means being a tooth fairy.

3. I took stock of my injuries. I hadn't even been on the job a month and I had 14 bruises, a concussion, multiple cuts and abrasions, a broken bone, and now, a gunshot wound. Being a tooth fairy shouldn't be this hard. If only I had known the real job was monster fighter!

3 comments:

  1. nope, love number 1. But I do understand about people picking on the bits you love and then realising that..okay...maybe...you might need to trim it..or rewrite it :)

    Good luck, and you CAN do it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think number one is a great hook, and quite hilarious.

    Good luck with this. It sounds really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number One by a mile! It's natural and confident - it's not trying to impress me, it just does.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment! I know that sounds a little needy, and maybe it is. I mean, I don't need comment validation to know that I exist, right? But I like to know that someone else (maybe you?) has read what I wrote and felt moved enough to reply. So, thank you.