Wednesday, July 27, 2011

In Which I Discuss Ravens

few fun facts about ravens. Ravens are tool users, and will use sticks, string, and cars to help them get food. They've been seen pulling up fishing line to get the fish on the end of the line, and then dropping the hook back in the water. They will drop "hard" food in front of cars. When the car runs over the nut (or clam, or whatever) and cracks it open, they will fly down and eat it.

In various myths they are frequently portrayed as smart and clever. In myths where they are not gods themselves, they are companions to gods. Odin had two raven companions, Huginn and Muninn (Thought and Memory) to advise him. Ravens have been viewed as both a bringer of fire and a harbinger of war and death. In scientific (and not so scientific) tests, they have proven themselves to be extremely smart, with an intelligence equal to chimpanzees.

A group of ravens can be called:
A murder of ravens (most commonly used with crows)
An unkindness of ravens
A flock of ravens (though that's boring)
A parliament of rooks (also used with owls)

But my favorite is...A storytelling of ravens. Which pretty much explains why they are the totem animal of my blog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting a comment! I know that sounds a little needy, and maybe it is. I mean, I don't need comment validation to know that I exist, right? But I like to know that someone else (maybe you?) has read what I wrote and felt moved enough to reply. So, thank you.