Sunday, July 10, 2011

In Which I Am Not Sure What Happened

'm not exactly sure what happened yesterday. I mean, know what happened, I'm just not sure how it happened. What happened is that we adopted another cat.  But how it happened?

We always joke about crazy cat lady status. Not just for me, but for all of us, because my husband and son love cats as much as I do. (Maybe more.) But we were clear. We'd hit the limit of cats in our house (three). No more cats. I was personally clear, no more cats. No more male cats. No more long hair cats. From now on, only short hair female cats. (Hopefully, apple headed Siamese cats.)

We went to PetSmart to pick up food and cat sand. PetSmart doesn't sell cats, but they do have cats from rescue and animal shelters. We look, but never too long. We went in and looked, and I just fell in love. He is a Maine Coon. (Male, long hair, and Maine Coons are known for not getting along well with other cats.) Not the cat I would have chosen, for sure. But we could see he got along well with the other cats at the adoption center. He was mellow, and something about the way he looked at me...

But we were clear, no more cats. My husband came up, saw that I had fallen in love, and said, "Well, if you want another cat, I can't say no."

So we sat with him a while, and he was friendly and gentle, and got along with the other cats. We brought him home, and he hid for about six hours and now he's trying to make friends with the other cats.

Male.
Long Hair.
Maine Coon.

Just goes to show you, never say never :) As in "I'll never be a published author". Male. Long Hair. Maine Coon.

What the new cat would look like if he were feeling more confident and not hiding behind the CDs.

5 comments:

  1. Boy cats are the best, and Maine Coons are beautiful. How could you resist? If my boys (husband and son) weren't so allergic, we'd have a couple. Or three. Or four...

    Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maine Coons don't get along with other cats? Someone better tell my Maine Coon, who babies the other cats and cuddles with them. Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi mfantaliswrites! You're right, I couldn't resist. Fortunately, I'm the only one that's allergic to cats in our house, and I'm willing to put with the three or four meds in order to have cats :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi JEFritz,

    I had a Maine Coon about 30 years ago. (She moved in and adopted us.) She hated the other cats and would attack them (or anyone who pet them). My vet said, "Maine Coons like to be the only cat in the house". I did some reading, and a couple of books said the same thing. (Unless they were raised with them.)

    The woman we adopted the new kitty from said the same thing, but I haven't been able to find that info on the web now anywhere! I'm thinking it was a trait that was bred out of them over the last thirty or forty years? Or that info is just an urban myth?

    In any case, I'm glad that your Maine Coon and mine get along with the other cats :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, that last anonymous post is from me, Suzi McGowen. Blogger is holding my log in long enough for me to post replies to any blog (even my own).

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment! I know that sounds a little needy, and maybe it is. I mean, I don't need comment validation to know that I exist, right? But I like to know that someone else (maybe you?) has read what I wrote and felt moved enough to reply. So, thank you.