Friday, June 18, 2010

new genre: Suburban Fantasy

I describe the genre of my troll wife story as "Suburban Fantasy" as opposed to Urban Fantasy. But what's the difference? Urban fantasy takes place in the modern world as we know it, but with the addition of magic and magical creatures. Sometimes this is well known, sometimes the general population isn't aware that magic and magical creatures exist. It's dark and gritty, and usually someone dies.

My story is a suburban fantasy. It is like the cozies in the mystery world. It's not as dark or gritty, and no one dies. It's not the big city of fantasy, it's the suburbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting a comment! I know that sounds a little needy, and maybe it is. I mean, I don't need comment validation to know that I exist, right? But I like to know that someone else (maybe you?) has read what I wrote and felt moved enough to reply. So, thank you.