Saturday, June 19, 2010

Book Trailers

I don't really get book trailers. I mean, I understand that they're designed to whet the appetite of your potential reading audience. I'm just not sure how they work. Who makes them? The publisher, the author? I saw one that had a cast of characters including a cameo by Deepak Chopra! Yow! Who pays for that?

I liked the one for Stay, though. I liked it so much, that I had a sample sent to my Kindle, even though it's a genre I don't care for.


And since I'm working on my query letter and a book trailer is like a query letter, I figured if I did a book trailer, it would be like this:


Voice: When Oubliette comes to call
(image of long fingered hand with claws, sliding under the bed)
Voice: Only a troll can protect you
(silhouette of troll, cut to hand with claws emerging from the finger tips)
Voice: And if she’s a tooth fairy, so much the better
(silhouette transforms from troll to tooth fairy, small and cute with wings)

3 comments:

  1. I liked that too! The first one I ever saw was awful but this was cute and quirky :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to write the script for your trailer. It helps to clarify the focus for you and the publishers. As well, you are diversifying the genre and the media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds really intersting.

    And yes, I'm a little bit confused about the book trailer thing too, but I know I'll want to make one myself anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment! I know that sounds a little needy, and maybe it is. I mean, I don't need comment validation to know that I exist, right? But I like to know that someone else (maybe you?) has read what I wrote and felt moved enough to reply. So, thank you.