Friday, May 2, 2014

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries Episode 61

I'm analyzing the Lizzie Bennet Diaries for a couple of reasons. First, I've become obsessed with them :) Second, because my current WIP has a secondary story arc of a love story. While it doesn't have the "I hate you, I love you" emotion of Pride and Prejudice, I know that love stories are not my strongest skill, so I'm studying what I can.

 In Episode 61, Darcy returns to Lizzie after watching her online Diaries. His hair is a little softer, and he tips his head more often, instead of holding it completely upright as he did in the last episode. Instead of being angry about the "dozens of videos where she says not so nice things about him" he seems very slightly amused. But mostly, he wants to explain his actions, without apology. He wants to be understood, and so he writes her a letter which he asks Lizzie to read.

 I think this letter is where Lizzie starts to see the real Darcy. She doesn't instantly change her mind about him, she's still angry at the pain he caused Jane, but she has a slightly better understanding of Darcy. Like Lizzie, Darcy also loves and protects his family. It's never overtly stated, but we assume that his parents are dead and he has been Gigi's older brother and father for a number of years. If he's overbearing or overprotective, at least we can understand how becoming a "father" after a terrible loss shaped the person he became.

 Last episode, they were sharing the color red in their clothes. This episode, it's blue. And Darcy, for the first time, apologizes for some of his actions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting a comment! I know that sounds a little needy, and maybe it is. I mean, I don't need comment validation to know that I exist, right? But I like to know that someone else (maybe you?) has read what I wrote and felt moved enough to reply. So, thank you.