Thursday, August 11, 2011

In Which I Fail The Bechdel Test

realized today that "Penny's Luck" fails the Bechdel Test. In case you haven't heard of the Bechdel Test, or don't remember the details, here it is.
The work (book, film, play) has:
1. Two or more female characters
2. That speak to each other
3. About something other than a man

In "Penny's Luck" I don't have any other female characters! Argh! And I can't think of a good way to fit one in. Even if I turn the butterfly smuggling neighbor into a woman, she and Penny will still be talking to each other about Penny's dad. Double Argh!

I don't know how I'm going to fix this. Well, obviously, I'm going to have to add another female character. Cal's coach? Cal's mom? A BFF?

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of the Bechdel test, but I've had a total LOL moment reading this post. I fail miserably all the time, 'cause I like writing solitary boys, and solitary girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cat,

    Thanks for stopping by :) If the characters are solitary, yes, they technically fail, but it's not that bad. "Penny's Luck" has lots of people, I just hadn't made any of them (except the main character) female. That's not the real world at all, and would (I think) make my book totally unbelievable, so it's something I have to fix :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment! I know that sounds a little needy, and maybe it is. I mean, I don't need comment validation to know that I exist, right? But I like to know that someone else (maybe you?) has read what I wrote and felt moved enough to reply. So, thank you.