Thursday, January 20, 2011

In Which I Learn New Things

One of the most wonderful and frustrating things about writing is that I'm always learning new things. This is wonderful because I love learning new things and because I always want to be a better writer. By "better" I mean have more tools in my writing tool box than I do right now.

But it's frustrating, because I never hit a plateau. When I learned something in school, I had some time to integrate what I'd just learned into my life before learning a new thing. I don't get that anymore. When I read other people's blogs on writing, I learn something new every time. Something I can apply to what I'm currently working on. Something that I need to go back through my current WiP and fix.

Then, while I'm learning this thing, I learn something new. Or discover I'm still struggling with one of my old problem areas. For me, this is show vs tell. Can't I just learn this one and move on already? No. It is a constant struggle, with everything I write, to show vs tell. I've gotten very good at telling in a showy way, but it's still telling. Now it's just harder for me to find.

But when I do learn it? Wow! I'll be a much better writer!

2 comments:

  1. It's not just you. All of us get slammed with so much great information what sometimes if feels like we are swimming in the middle of it and we have to desipher it all. It's hard to keep up. I think I'm going to have to get a note book and write it all down just to remember it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it's not just me :) I started creating a to do list on my blog. Instead of trying to learn/remember the info in the moment, I'm adding links to various posts to the "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment! I know that sounds a little needy, and maybe it is. I mean, I don't need comment validation to know that I exist, right? But I like to know that someone else (maybe you?) has read what I wrote and felt moved enough to reply. So, thank you.