Monday, June 23, 2014

In Which I Bite the Bullet And Decide To Go To A Writer's Convention

You know how some people are introverts? They (we) aren't necessarily shy, or dislike people, it's just that being around a lot of people is very draining. I imagine most writers are introverts, but that assumption is not based on knowing a lot of writers :)

You know how conventions have a lot of people? And lines with lots of people? And conversations with lots of people that you don't know? And interactions with lots of people with a shared interest? And did I mention people?

Yeah, conventions are one of those things that nerd introverts have a love/hate relationship with. Lots of people=bad, shared interests=good.

There are lots of reasons that I've never gone to a convention, much less a writers convention. Some of the reasons are even valid :) But the real, deep down, never want to say out loud reason is that I'm a major introvert. 99% on the Myers-Briggs sorter. I'm not scared about what people will think of my writing (yet). I'm just socially awkward, have social anxiety and I'm an introvert, so I'm scared(ish) of the people. (Wow, doesn't that description just make you want to hang out with me? :) )

But I have finally bit the bullet and just paid for a convention. It's the Southern California Writers Conference, and I picked the "novel cram" track. I'm going to the one in Los Angeles (Newport Beach) on Sept 19 through 21. Lets face it, everyone there will have a deep love of one of my favorite things. And hanging out with people that love the same thing I do will be awesome!

So, if you're going to that convention, and you're feeling socially awkward, nervous, or too introvert for words, let's meet up! We'll be socially awkward, nervous and introverted together. Which, yeah, is an oxymoron, but could be fun :)

2 comments:

  1. I had that same experience: not a clue what to say but so excited to be there. I was even on a panel with "real writers" - no idea why, except one local author had heard of me and decided that terrified-newbie-shepherding was his penance for some unknown sin. I'm not sure I said a word except in answer to a direct question. The second one was a little better, mostly because by then I actually knew three entire people who were attending.

    If I lived in California, I would happily be socially awkward, nervous and introverted with you.

    Have fun - you probably will, despite yourself - just keep your eye out for other people in corners with the same car-lights-in-eyes stare. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. information valuable and excellent design as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts lots of great information and inspiration both of which I need, thanks to offer such a helpful information here. CIS 355A WEEK 1 DISCUSSION DQ 1 & DQ 2 LATEST

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment! I know that sounds a little needy, and maybe it is. I mean, I don't need comment validation to know that I exist, right? But I like to know that someone else (maybe you?) has read what I wrote and felt moved enough to reply. So, thank you.